We strive to provide seamless and effective tax advice to our clients. Our Firm has a combination of talents which include highly trained lawyers, accountants and tax experts. Crucially, tax advice that advocates give is covered by legal professional privilege. Taxes that advice about include: Our practice Income tax (employment tax, withholding tax, etc.), Corporate income tax, Value added tax, stamp duty, property tax, Customs & excise duties, and social security (National Hospital Insurance Fund and National Social Security Fund)
Focus: Our firm offers tailored and practical advice encompassing the full spectrum of clients' commercial activities. These include:
Tax disputes and resolution: This includes legal representation before the Tribunals and Courts, undertaking mediation and alternative dispute resolution, and negotiations with KRA.
Transactions: We offer expert advice and counsel on all aspects of a transaction, more so before a client commits to a deal. The overall is to manage and mitigate risks and at the same time secure mutual beneficial outcomes for the client. Under this rubric, we zero in on, among, others:
- Tax implications in the context of corporate reorganizations, mergers acquisitions, de-mergers, management buy outs and corporate restructuring.
- Tax advice on corporate set ups and existing or new client products
- Employee compensation structuring-tax planning for international and executive stuff which involves a review of employment contracts for tax implications and proposing available tax incentives to minimize the liability for employed persons
- Tax structuring for individuals with manifold sources of income. This entails giving advice on the tax compliance procedures for the various income streams and tax planning to take advantage of the available tax minimization incentives
- Obtaining clearance from KRA
Tax education and training: The Bureau also designs and delivers customized training courses to address the specific needs of individual government departments and agencies, individuals, businesses and NGOs. The courses target, among others, government officials working on taxation law and fiscal policy, private sector executives interested in how governments develop and implement national tax policy strategies, and other professionals working on and interested in tax law and policy issues
General advisory and compliance services: This covers a spectrum of tax policy and law aspects:
- Undertaking tax due diligence reviews. This includes carrying out: tax audits of client’s business affairs; undertaking tax review after a KRA audit with a view to verifying the findings; and, tax reviews for purpose of structuring (acquisition, merger, de-merger or re-organization transactions).
- Carrying out tax compliance reviews. This involve calculating a taxpayer’s liability, reminding taxpayers about due dates and amount payable for instalment taxes, filling the annual self -assessment returns.
- Challenging unfair or incorrect KRA tax assessments and reassessments
- Negotiating a reasonable payment plan for a tax liability with KRA
- Representing and defending clients’ interests during a KRA tax audit